Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:21:48 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I forced to install Xfree86?

On 30 Nov 2001, at 8:47, Kevin Oberman boldly uttered:

> > From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
> > Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:25:07 -0800
> >
> > Furtheremore, if I were to uncomment "NO_X=	true", what would have
> > happened when I went to install the mtr port, which wanted gtk as a
> > dependency?  Would it automatically not fetch/compile XF86, or would
> > it do it anyway because gtk is a dependency?  Aren't the settings in
> > make.conf just for building the base system?
>
> I'd have to look at the Makefile for mtr to see how it would handle
> this. Some tools still install without a GUI and others will fail to
> install, at all.

Since I'm not a programmer and I only compile software to create
pre-written applications, I'm not an expert on makefiles.  How
am I to determine such esoterica as how a port will behave if it
encounters the directive "NO_X= true" in /etc/make.conf?

In a cursory view of the mtr port's Makefile, there is nothing in
there that references "X" or "X-Windows", or "Xfree86".. only the
"WANT_GTK= yes" line.

I still contend that life for us lowly non-programmers would be
vastly more productive if the port's install script simply stopped at
some point and asked "I see you don't have X installed - do you want
to install that big monster, or just skip GUI support?".

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium