Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:38:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sean Whiteman <seanw@flashcom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   how to route lp0 to default gateway?

I am trying to install FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE on a laptop via PLIP (the lp0
interface).  After booting from the bootdisks I can get a connection
established (i.e. ping works) between the laptop and my desktop, but I
don't know how to get the laptop
connected to the net via the default gateway on my LAN.  The laptop is
using IP 192.168.3.2 for lp0, the desktop's lp0 interface is 192.168.3.1,
and the desktop is using 192.168.1.1 as it's default gateway. If I
specify 192.168.1.1 for default gw on the laptop, route complains that the
network
is unreachable, and if I specify 192.168.3.1 as default gw, nothing
happens (the intial
DNS
request just times out) even after setting up the desktop to forward
packets using ipfw and natd.

Any help is really appreciated, and I will supply any additional
information that isn't clear from the above.
Thanks,
-Sean