Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:26:15 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I forced to install Xfree86?

On 30 Nov 2001, at 12:27, Erik Trulsson boldly uttered:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:43:56PM -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> > > Check /usr/ports/net/mtr/Makefile and you'll see
> > > WANT_GTK=       yes
> >

> > OK, so what if:
> >
> > A) I don't know what GTK is
> > B) I don't know what changing that to "no" will do to the
> >    functionality of the port I'm trying to install
>
> Then don't bother about it.
> Ports using WANT_xxx mean:
>   " If xxx is installed it will be used, otherwise we will get by
> witout it."

That's contrary to my experience.  In the described case, the action
was more like "If xxx is installed it will be used, otherwise WE WILL
RETRIEVE AND INSTALL IT."  See below.

> > Not to be annoying, but the ports are promoted as a simple
> > way of installing preconfigured programs. I don't think that
> > positioning is consistent with the implication that everyone is
> > an expert about various options that appear in makefiles, because if
> > so, why not just compile the thing from scratch and forget the port?
> >
> > How difficult would it be in the case of a program like mtr which can
> > run perfectly fine without X, to place a question in the script where
> > it stops and asks "would you like to include X-Windows support?"?
>
> For mtr, if you do not have X or GTK installed it is not supposed to
> fetch and build it. As far as I can determine from looking at the port
> it doesn't do that either unless you have changed something.

I DID NOT change anything.  This is a brand-new 4.4-RELEASE install.
One of the very first things I did after rebooting the machine post-
install was to install the mtr port.  I didn't change any port
settings, compile settings, or make settings.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium