Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:47:46 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        chris@fedde.littleton.co.us, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi0 and D-Link DWL-650

> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:42:42 -0600
> From: Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
> Subject: wi0 and D-Link DWL-650
>
> I have been experimenting with a pair of D-Link DWL-650 wireless
> cards with the intent of making my laptop more portable.  One is in
> the laptop, the other in a pci-pccard bridge on my desk top.  The
> kernel recognizes these as wi0 ethernet interfaces.  I get mac
> addresses from them, and wicontrol reports interesting data.  I
> can assign them IP addresses but when I do the cards non functional
> and vmstat reports >2k device interrupts per second. I normally
> see around 50 in/sec.

A bug in the wi driver was causing an interrupt storm with some
pccard controllers.  I believe a patch for it was posted in the
wee hours of yesterday morning, so if you CVSUP today that should
fix the problem.

I think you need to rebuild both the kernel and the driver, but I'm
not clear on that.  It was discussed on the -mobile list.

The other solution is to "downgrade" your system to RELENG_4_3,
which is how I solved the problem.

- Bob

> Anyone have any ideas? I've appended some details below in the hope that
> they might be useful.
>
> - --
>     Chris Fedde

[ details deleted]