Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:55:17 +0100
From:      Volker Stolz <stolz@I2.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freeze at/before login-prompt on 4.2S since yesterday

I have been running a maybe 3 days old STABLE-box, but when I
rebuilt just the kernel yesterday to include some stuff which I
was loading as modules before the machine freezes just before or on issuing
the console login. Itīs network stack is running as I can still ping it.
However, when I reverted the kernel-config to what it was before the
upgrade (i.e. ng_pppoe & ipfw as modules) the new kernel shows the same
behaviour :| Whatīs worse, the original kernel got "expired" by several
calls of mv /kernel /kernel.old. So Iīm back to 4-2-RELEASE-GENERIC now,
the modules with the exception of ipfw still work.

Any suggestions whats going on? It canīt possibly be because of userland
and kernel going out ouf sync in a few days and even locking up the
machine, can it? Itīd like to avoid having to buildworld again...
--
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}!
Volker Stolz * stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de * PGP + S/MIME