Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:37:34 -0700
From:      Tom Snell <gracchus@inficad.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.1: First Install: microuptime()???

Thank you, James, Rocky, and John...
No resolution yet, but you guys are definitely quick on the replies and
have solid answers to research.  Now I understand why so many FBSD'ers
swear by it: it's the responsiveness of these lists!  It's a very big
encouragement to someone new to the OS, and you have my deep gratitude
for your assistance.

OK, my suspicions agree with yours...and it ain't just FBSD.  FYI, I've
never gotten the SB Live! to work in Windows on this mobo, Win98 or
WinME, though no resources appear to conflict; it works perfectly in
Linux (multiple distros).  Until WinME, had an odd problem with the NDIS
driver: could not boot Win whenever any NIC was installed.  I've never
really been able to isolate the problems: CPU, mobo, bad RAM???  But
since everything worked in Linux, I figured it was differences between
the OS's.  But I've always wondered if it had something to do with the
mobo, something that Linux was more tolerant of than Win.  Installing
FBSD seems to have brought those issues to the fore.

I tried John's suggestion, going to ttyv1 (and ttyv2, 3, & 4), but as
soon as I put a command in, the "microuptime()" lines started bursting
forth as before.

I think now I'll reinstall without the APM option.  I recall where the
APM code for Linux used to be buggy, and it took developers awhile to
make it work across many mobo platforms.  It really does appear, in
reading Rocky's and James' replies, that it may have something to do
with earlier Athlon CPU's or certain Athlon motherboards (or just bad
system clocks?).

Again, thank you guys for all the solid help.  I'll post back once I've
reinstalled.

Tom Snell