Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:57:31 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/home vs /home

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 06:39:00AM -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> > > AHA.  probably an 'RL-05',  cousin to the better known "RK-05"
>
> I had a memory fault -- the RLs were the RL-01 and RL-02.
> > >
> > > 14" media, in a 'cartridge'.   I -think- it was an 'SMD' interface
> >
> > 14" could be true as it just fitted into a 19" rack.
>
> Virtually all 'removable platter' or 'removable pack' storage of the day
> was 14" media. :)
>
> There were some "high-capacity" _non-removable-media_ drives that used
> much larger media.  A friend had a coffee table made from a 45" disk
> platter.

Control Data Corp made the drives with the large platters - 45" sounds
about right.   It was the 808 Disk drive.   It was built on a huge heavy
cast aluminum frame (to counteract vibration)and the heads were 'loaded'
and positioned hydraulicly.  There was a large and noisy pump unit right
next to it.  It was quite fast at read/write.   Here one was set up to
only use a couple of cylinders to reduce seek time and then used as a
swap disk.

CDC was actually a major disk manufacturer in their day.

I also used that DEC setup with the removable disk cartridges
on a PDP-11 an later on a 8650.   The 8650 had lots of other
disk, but a cartridge was still used for the system controller
that did things like controlling the boot, etc.

////jerry