Date:      	Fri, 21 Jul 1995 12:38:55 -0700
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        Yuri Gindin <aerygis@aerodyne.technion.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: iij-ppp questions.

> what does the set login string in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf means:
> set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: ppp word: ppp"
> i.e. what is login:-\\r-login: makes ? \r is carriage
> return, I suppose ?

That language is stolen from the way UUCP scripts work - you can find
information on this scripting language in the UUCP documentation.
It's a big help to have run a big UUCP site in a past life. :-)

Briefly, this is a list of pairs of expected input/generated output
tokens.  TIMEOUT is special and is a command; the "5" is parsed as
an argument.  You'd better see something within 5 seconds or the
timeout expires.  This is used in the next part.  "login:" is
what we expect to see.  The hyphen marks the start of an alternate
branch in the script.  If we DON'T see "login:" within 5 seconds,
send a carriage return.  Then, expect to see "login:", also within
five seconds.  When you see that, send "ppp".  Expect to see
"word:" within five seconds, then send "ppp" and end the script.
As you can see from "word:", you don't have to give the full text
you expect back, just a substring from it will do.

The source code shows that IIJ PPP supports all sorts of special escape
characters; '\r' is only one.  There are long and short pauses, tabs, and
others too.  You could probably handle callback entirely in the script.  I
thought there was something about callback in the documentation but maybe
I'm wrong; my FreeBSD system is at home so I don't have the doc handy.

Mike O'Brien