Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:58:42 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/acpica acpi.c

Nate Lawson wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:

>>> It is interesting that the suspend path without the apic support causes
>>> a hang for you.  This should be investigated.  Does it work if you have
>>> apic compiled in but boot with hint.apic.0.disabled="1" ? Any ideas
>>> where to look John?
>>

>> Not for the !APIC case, no.  It would probably be good to get that
>> working first before trying to work on the APIC case.  Perhaps the
>> ioapic resume code is using locks when it shouldn't though.  Is it not
>> safe to grab a spin lock when intr_resume() is called?
>

> Without apic compiled in (still waiting on his reply to the "compiled in
> but disabled" case), his system hangs when writing to PM1A, which is an
> IO port in the ICH that indicates the requested sleep state.  I haven't
> checked errata for the ICH6 which I think he has.  Perhaps there is a
> PIC mode erratum for S3.

I replied earlier to this:
Nate Lawson:

 > It is interesting that the suspend path without the apic support
causes a hang for you.  This should be investigated.  Does it work if
you have apic compiled in but boot with hint.apic.0.disabled="1" ? Any
ideas where to look John?

Eric Anderson:
Setting this to 1 does a funny thing.  When I ask the machine to go to
s3, it acts like it will, the power light dims, the machine clicks like
it's going into s3, but then immediately the power light comes back on,
the hard drive spins back up, and the machine starts a normal power up.

So, to reiterate:

With apic support compiled in, and hint.apic.0.disabled="0", the machine
suspends happily.

With apic support compiled in, and hint.apic.0.disabled="1", the machine
does the funny thing mentioned above.

Without apic support compiled in, the computer powers off as if it is
going into S5.

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.