Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:26:00 -0800
From:      "Fabian Thylmann" <fthylmann@stats.net>
To:        "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with not disappearing sockets.

Hi Scott,

sorry for taking so long to reply, I normally reply faster, but I had too
much stuff to do..

Your sysctl thing helped wonders :) Thanks a LOT for this!

The way we handle the high socket numbers is just a very high maxusers
setting in the kernel and on top of that also directly setting the max
nmbclusters to a high number (even higher than the calculated one that
results from the maxusers) ..... This helped keeping the box from kernel
panicing because of mbuf cluster overruns, which I guess your box probably
crashes on. Check the netstat -m numbers, that will give you info on max and
current mbuf usage. If thats very close, its probably mbuf clusters running
out and the kernel panicing on that.
The easiest way to get around this is to just increase the maxusers number
in the kernel.

Fabian Thylmann
STATSnet sprl