Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:56:27 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solaris and Swap Space

One more technical follow-up.

Solaris uses swap files. These can be either regular files or
"slice" device files. I couldn't find any comments defining the
_exact_ range of possible files, the above are what the
documentation uses as example.

The swap spaces are defined by a tuple of <file, offset, size>,
which defines the exact position inside the file where the swap is
located.

Finally, the "swap -s" command, which I used to determine whether
the thing overcommits or not, reports *total* memory. The man page
explicitly refers to the main memory as a "swap space" for the
purpose of "swap -s". Thus, Solaris does, indeed, use a RAM+SWAP
model.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Your usefulness to my realm ended the day you made it off Hustaing
alive."
		-- Sun Tzu Liao to his ex-finacee, Isis Marik