Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B network collisions

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Vadim Belman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after having heard so many positive opinions about the
> network card in <subj>, we decided to give it a try on
> our new FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine (previously we used
> 3COM 905 TP for all of ours FreeBSD boxes).
>
> Surprisingly, we found that Intel board produces a _huge_
> number of network collisions, almost for every output
> packet.
>
> The strange thing is that we anyhow had a terrific
> transfer rate - absolutely the same as with 3COMs
> (~920 Kb/s on a 10 mbps connection).
>
> It is definitely a problem with the card, for we have also
> tried 3COM on the same machine, with predictable zero number
> of collisions.  There is quite likely that this is not a problem
> with a particular Intel card, for we have also tried another one

Check your configuration on the card and switch.  Surely there's something
screwed up there.  This card has performed *very* well for me since the
day I put it in.

Here's what netstat shows me after 40 days uptime (reformatted):

Name Mtu  Network Address           Ipkts    Ierrs Opkts    Oerrs Coll
fxp0 1500 <Link>  00.a0.c9.c7.3a.09 57849557 0     41586785 1     0

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services