Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:07:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Greg Elliott" <gje@commportfx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware support & other questions

Greg Elliott writes:
> I checked the documentation for hardware support and found no mention of
> support for the Promise FastTrak66 IDE RAID controller.  Are there currently
> any plans to add support for any of the FastTrak controllers (FastTrak
> 33,66,100 etc.)?  Also I saw "experimental" support for the Sound Blaster
> Live card.  When would it become "stable" support?

I've seen mention of the Promise controllers on -current, which is
where experimental stuff (like SB Live) happens. It will be made
available on -stable when the authors decide it's ready. Since this is
volunteer work, the schedule isn't really fixed.

> I noticed FreeBSD release 4.1 comes with XFree86 3.3.6.  Will the next
> release (4.2) contain XFree86 4.0.1?

Not clear. 4.0.1 has some root compromises in it. I can't see freeBSD
shipping with that as the default GUI until those are fixed - which
the XFree86 group has to do. If you can live with the security
problems, you can install 4.0.1 from ports after you install the
OS. There are hooks in the ports package to detect which you are
running, and adjust X tools appropriately.

> I am currently using 3.2-RELEASE.  I am looking to upgrade my system and
> install new on another.  If support for the above items is coming soon, I'll
> wait until the next release (4.2).

Are those things supported in 3.2? If not, I'd suggest going to
4.1-RELEASE, and then tracking -stable. That's the fastest reasonable
way to get support for those devices.

	<mike