Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:23:45 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Karli_Sj=F6berg?= <Karli.Sjoberg@slu.se>
To:        Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hang when importing pool

31 jul 2012 kl. 15.33 skrev Bob Friesenhahn:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012, Karli Sj=F6berg wrote:

Hi,

I=B4m really struggling with this. I have had a pool with imported
filesystems from a Solaris system that had dedup activated. Then,
when the time came to erase them, it just stalled. When rebooting,
it stalled again at mounting filesystems, and since then, I=B4ve
installed two USB drives to act as root pool with
FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE so that I could import the original pool in
recovery, but it always stalls after a couple of hours. Looking at
top, I could see that the 16GB RAM was maxed out, so I have heavily
tuned down kmem, arc, etc:

I think that you will need to find some way to temporarily add a
dedicated L2ARC device (preferably an SSD or maybe iSCSI to a LUN on a
machine with huge memory) or to find a machine with a lot more RAM.

I already had a cache device added to the pool I wanted to import, but now =
I understand it needed to be on the pool that was doing the actual importin=
g, so I delete the one, big partition and split it into three. So the pool =
I want to have imported has a 32G partition, which it has added as L2ARC. T=
he pool that=B4s doing the importing has a 32G part added as swap, and the =
remaining 160G added as L2ARC. From a Vertex 3 240G MLC I know performance =
of the SSD isn=B4t an issue.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us<mailto:bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>, http://w=

Med V=E4nliga H=E4lsningar
----
Karli Sj=F6berg
Box 7079 (Visiting Address Kron=E5sv=E4gen 8)
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone:  +46-(0)18-67 15 66
karli.sjoberg@slu.se<mailto:karli.sjoberg@adm.slu.se>