Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:06:07 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What NIC to choose?

I have been very happy with NetGear network cards and switches.  In the
US, the Best Buy chain of stores has a sale on NetGear equipment every
six weeks or so.  The cards (FA311) are usually $20, but I picked them
up for $10, and they had a $5 mail-in rebate on top of that.  I also
bought one of their switches (FS108) which has eight ports and supports
100Mbps full-duplex connections, for $90.

These cards work with the sis driver (miibus is a prerequisite) and
function equally well on FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows.  In fact, Windows
XP now has built-in support for these cards, and does not need the
drivers from the included floppy disk.

--
Paul A. Howes