Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 02:33:23 +0100
From:      "Thomas Beauchamp" <thomas@noproblem.net>
To:        <chad@DCFinc.com>, <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <JDBitters@cs.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.1-STABLE BOOT SLICE PROBLEM

Hi!

My understanding is:

a 'slice', in FreeBSD lingo is a 'Microsoft's partition', of which you can
only have FOUR (past the MBR and partition table).
FreeBSD partitions exist on a Microsoft slice, and you can have up to 8
FreeBSD partitions per slice.
So a 'dangerously dedicated disk', having nothing to do with Microsoft, has
essentially no slice, just partitions. Am I right?

But I find it confusing that FreeBSD uses the 's' of slice in its naming
terminology : '/dev/da0s1a' for instance, whilst other versions of BSD omit
the 'slice information' and would call the root file system '/dev/da0a'
instead. I understand that FreeBSD support this terminology too
('compatibility slice naming'), but it's all confusing for me: when
Microsoft 'partitions' are not there AT ALL (as it is the case in a
'dangerously dedicated disk'), why then use the term 'slice'?

Thomas Beauchamp
New-B