Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:27:09 +0100
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        Michael Henry <aviast@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pathchk

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:41:10AM +0000, Michael Henry wrote:
#
# > = sizeof(char) is defined to be 1.
#
# Are you proposing replacing "sizeof(char)" with "1"?
# Surely the former is more clear?

No, the multiplication with sizeof(char) should just be removed.
Sizeof(char) is cast in stone as per ISO 9899.

# On another point: what is the general consensus on casting
# functions to void? ie. "(void)fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", memoryerror);"
# Am I the only one who finds this needless obfuscation of
# the code irritating? (It's just a general question; nothing
# aimed specifically at Chuck's code).

A lot of lint implementations (and I think FreeBSD's too) will complain
if you ignore the return value of non-void functions. A void cast is the
canonical way to suppress this if there's really no point in testing the
return value.

Regards,

	Jens
--