Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:48:11 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More dynamic KVA_SPACE

Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > If you need a larger amount of UVA space, you might want to consider
> > buying an IA64 machine, instead, since the bigger your iron, the
> > bigger your KVA space requirements will be.
>
> What, no UltraSPARC?  :) :) :)

Unfortunately, my SPARC machine is not an UltraSPARC machine, and
I wasn't aware of whether or not snapshots were being created for
it or not at this point, so I limited myself to talking about what
I knew to be true.

I knew not to recommend the Alpha because it is limited to 2G
of physical memory.

I didn't know what the limitation on physical memory was in the
UltraSPARC, but I knew that the IA64 could handle more than 4G
of physical memory, which was the IA32 limit that needed working
around.

Is UltraSPARC an answer to the question of how to get a larger
UVA space without sacrificing KVA space, with more physical
memory than an IA32, and are snapshots that boot fully multiuser
and install via sysinstall available?

If so, what does a motherboard with a CPU, suitable for rack
mounting, cost these days?

-- Terry