Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:20:04 -0400
From:      "[ -dp- ]" <transmogrify@sympatico.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcmcia copout.

Hi.

Architecture: Dell Latitude Cpi i386.
OS: FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE
NIC's: 3COM Etherlink III and 3COM Megahertz 56k modem.
Media: Floppy disks / FTP via local lan to the internet.

	This box had 3.4-STABLE running without a hitch three days ago. I tried
to cvsup it to 4.0-STABLE
and for some reason while building, i decided to use the -k flag on make
installworld :( . After I finally got it running again I made some
backups i wiped the whole system clean.

	So with my shiny new install disks, the setup was goin fine, the card
inits and the installation begins. However within a meg or two of
transfer it dies.

What I have tried:

1) all possible irq/memory configurations within sysinstalls limits.
Including the default recommendations, which did not work.
2) dissabling as many devices as possible via dell's BIO's, to try and
free up the pool.
3) tried the card in a different slot, and remove the other card.
4) a different server
4) kick it down the freeken stairs.

From the emergency shell if I bring the device down, then re-init, it
begins transfer again, but only for a few seconds. Ping requests lag to
around 300 until it goes down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--

Paul.
Don't underestimate the power of

Email: dp@penix.org & transmogrify@sympatico.ca
BIO: http://bling.dyn.dhs.org
GPG Key fingerprint: 2D7C A7E2 DB1F EA5F 8C6F D5EC 3D39 F274 4AA3E8B9
Public Key's available here: http://bling.dyn.dhs.org/texts/public.html