Date:      07 Dec 2001 12:24:43 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-Windows

Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be> writes:

> If this is not the appropriate address for this kind of message, please
> excuse me, and let me know where I should have sent it.

Seems OK to me.

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-understanding.html
>  >>>>>
> ``X Windows'' is to be avoided wherever possible; see X(1) for more
> information.
>
> <<<<<
>
> The link for X(1) http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=X&sektion=1
> does not work.

That should be
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=X&manpath=FreeBSD+Ports

I wonder why X(1) is in file man3/X.3.gz on my FreeBSD 4.4-R.

> The reader is led to expect the reason to avoid "X Windows" at the other
> end of the link, but "man X" on 4.4_RELEASE only provides a list of
> allowed forms, and no confirmation of my assumption that it's because
> Microsoft made "Windows" a trademark, even though "X-Windows" used to be
> the normal name for the "X Window System" (was it? is my assumption
> correct?).

The quoted statement is overblown in my opinion.  AFAIK, the only reason
for it is that the term is commonly used, but not sanctioned by the
X Consortium.  Also for the same reason brown suits are to be avoided
whenever possible -- it's not fashionable and it's use is not advisable
if you want to join the fashionable clique.

BTW, I'm quite sure people were saying "X Windows" before M$ innovated
the term Windows, but I don't think it was ever the "normal" name for X.
I have a book from 1989 which says the original name was "X" (a prior
window system was "W"),  The book seems careful to only use the approved
forms and I doubt that they were worrying about the Windows trademark
then.  It might be a consideration now, but I doubt even M$ would have
the nerve to complain about a common name for the window system of
Motif, a standard they helped innovate.  It wouldn't suprise me, though.