Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:37:05 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Scott Penno <scottpenno@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems starting init

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Scott Penno wrote:

SP> Yesterday I grabbed the latest source for -stable, compiled and installed as
SP> I've done on a number of occasions in the past.  Unfortunately this time
SP> things didn't go quite so smoothly.  After building world and the kernel, I
SP> installed the new kernel and rebooted without a problem, then installed
SP> world and ran mergemaster.  After rebooting the kernel appears to load OK,
SP> but when attempting to start init appears to be stuck in a loop.  What I see
SP> is:
SP>
SP> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
SP> ad0s1: type 0xa5, start 63, end = 39102335, size = 39102273 : OK
SP> start_init: trying /sbin/init
SP>
SP> The cursor then changes from high intensity to normal and just sits there.
SP> If I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, I see a couple of lines with waiting, syncing disks
SP> and the box reboots

Any chance you've used wrong CPUTYPE setting? If you have another FreeBSD
machine, you may copy /sbin/init from there to floppy, then boot to loader
prompt, do

set init_path="/bin/sh"

and

boot

(maybe `boot -s' also works, but I'm not sure it does not try to execute init)

then do your usual recovery. However, I'm afraid in case of wrong CPUTYPE
setting, you'll stuck with the same problem with /bin/sh also...

In that case, I'm afraid fixit floppy (or reattaching the drive somewhere else)
would be the only solution.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]