Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 19:46:50 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/comms/hylafax

[ CC: snipped ]
John Polstra wrote in message ID
<199706051606.JAA06183@austin.polstra.com>:
> I'm with Satoshi on this whole thing.

I agree. Not only does Satoshi do a sterling job of maintaining an
every growing headache that is called `the ports collection', he does
so in his spare time. Unless Julian is willing to dedicate that
ammount of time to maintaining the ports, I suggest he stops
complaining about decisions made.

> Also, while the port was not marked broken, it was indeed broken --
> the distfile doesn't exist on the master site.  Not to put too fine
> a point on it, but to me that weakens your claim of authority over
> the port as its maintainer.

Infact, given that Julian had been asked to upgrade the port at least
once, and that the PR for the new port sat for so long in GNATS before
Satoshi did anything, I'm not at all sure what all the fuss is
about. If Julian spent half the time that he has now expended writing
mails attacking Satoshi on his port, this would never have happened.
Instead he chose to decline Satoshi's upgrade requests, and now when
someone else presented us with a solution, he chooses to attack
instead. Not the most productive use of his time, IMHO.

> Finally, no matter what Satoshi does, he doesn't have any way I know
> of to delete the old port from your 2.2.1 CD.

Or the in-the-works 2.2.2 CD either, since at least one copy has gone
off to replication already.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                            Speaking for no-one other than himself