Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:52:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu.erry@lambert.org.current@FreeBSD.ORG.hsu@freefall.freebsd.org (Jim Lowe)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hsu@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To pick a (perl) fight!

> > > This may shock you, but I don't own a printer (I probably personally
> > > own more computers than 95% of the people on the list, if they don't
> > > count their video equipment, ovens, or bread machines.  8-)).
> >
> > Well just how many would that be?  Working off my last resource allocation
> > chart, I've got...  hm.  7 routers.. 6 servers.. 3 term servers.. 12 general
> > purpose..  probably others..  that's something like 28.
>
> Forget these Apples to Suns comparisions,
> I think the real question would be what are your
> telephone (communications) and electric bill MRC
> costs :-).

About $1400 for telecom and $175 for electric, IIRC.

> I know someone running a Vax 780 :-).

Ok, that's impressive...  I might make a minor dent if I actually powered up
my two Sun 3/260's...

Sun 3/260	 9A
Sun Disk Ped.	12A
Sun 3/260	 9A
CGR Disk Ped.	14A
		---
		44A

Of course the easier way to make a dent would be to push either the VAX or
the 3/260's out a seventh floor window somewhere.

I can't justify running the 3/260's anymore, with 8 MIPS and 2GB of disk
between them, at 5400 watts, I could probably measure their operational cost
in dollars per hour ... at 12c/kwh (no idea what current rate is) that would
be 65c/hour..  or to put it another way, I could buy myself 2GB and a cheap
8+++ MIPS PC for what it would cost to run them for two months.  ;-)

> When you have to upgrade your household electrical
> service to justify your hobby -- then you really
> have a reason to grunt :-).

Hey, don't laugh, it actually happened the last place I had Solaria at.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968