Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:05:23 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I forced to install Xfree86?

On 30 Nov 2001, at 16:51, Josh Paetzel boldly uttered:

> > I can't even find a manpage or other docs for "gtk" on the machine
> > that now has it installed.  I'm sure there might be something in the
> > X11 or gnome directories that is some variation of "gtk", but are you
> > starting to see my point about what I'm going through just to install
> > a rudimentary command-line traceroute utility?
> >

> > Phil
>

> The way the port is supposed to work is as follows:
> If X is on the machine, install the port to use X.
> If X is on the machine, and you do make WITHOUT_GTK=yes then it will
> build the port in the command line version.
> If X is not on the machine install as a command line util.
>
> That's how it works on my systems.
>
> Part of the confusion is that mtr is NOT just a simple command line
> program.  It is a command line program that also will work within X
> using the GTK toolkit.
>
> Josh

Fair enough - maybe it's a relative anomaly in that respect.  On the
other hand, I certainly would never expect something like a lynx port
to care in the least about X or GTK or anything else GUI related.. so
maybe it's a moot point.

I only know that on one of my other boxes where I have installed mtr,
there is no sign of GTK anywhere. (X is on there.. but probably
because it was installed as a dependency for something.  I don't use
it)

Maybe I installed it on that machine as a binary package.. but if so,
I guess the package was compiled with "WANT_GTK= NO".. :-)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium