Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:41:37 +0100
From:      Patrick =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Lamaizi=E8re?= <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mackbook pro nvidia based video backlight

Hello,

I've made a small driver to set the backlight level on Apple MacBook
Pro, for the models based on the Nvida video card (model 3,1 and 3,2).
(if it works on other models please tell me)

At the moment this is a quick and dirty hack, but you don't need to
wear a pair of sunglasses anymore!

Module (FreeBSD 7.1):
http://user.lamaiziere.net/patrick/ambnb-270109.tar.gz

The driver does not check if the hardware is a suitable Macbook Pro
(TODO!), so use with care. You can check the model of your Mac with
dmidecode:

Handle 0x0011, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
        Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
        Product Name: MacBookPro3,1
        Version: 1.0

There is a sysctl hw.ambnb.level to set the level of the backlight (0 <=
level <= 15).

I don't have the time for the moment, but i will try to improve it a
bit.

I'm asking which method will be the best to interface the driver with
userland applications?

Regards.