Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 13:12:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.04

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Robert Swindells wrote:
>
> > FYI - Netscape 4.04 for FreeBSD is out.
>
> Does anyone know if netscape is planning on releasing a version with 128
> bit security? I've been watching their site daily, and haven't found
> anything yet.

Has anyone else had problems with it?  As with 4.03b8, I
occasionally had problems with it hanging on exit.  I thought I
would make sure there wasn't anything around from older versions
causing problems so I moved my ~/.netscape directory out of the
way.

It starts up, creates its ~/.netscape directory and works fine.
But after exiting the first time, it hangs on the next startup
before opening a window and soaks up all free CPU time. A ktrace
shows it looping with this:

  5938 communicator-4.0^A CALL  gettimeofday(0xefbfa3ec,0)
  5938 communicator-4.0^A RET   gettimeofday 0
  5938 communicator-4.0^A CALL  sigreturn(0xefbfa4b4)
  5938 communicator-4.0^A RET   sigreturn JUSTRETURN
  5938 communicator-4.0^A PSIG  SIGALRM caught handler=0x76cdf8 mask=0x0 code=0x

The only way to get rid of it is kill -9.

This is on a 2.2.5-RELEASE system.

Aside from occasionally hanging up on exit, it workd with my
age-old .netscape directory full of cruft from the whole 3.x
series and various 3.x betas....go figure.

-john