Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:06:22 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who's got the cheapest 100-BT Ethernet NIC?

Robert Clark wrote:

> The Intel PILA8460B (Pro 10/100B) goes for 36$ US locally. Its three
> times the price of the 12$ Realtek card, but I argue that their worth
> the extra upfront cost.

What is it that makes it so worthwhile? I am using several of these,
but they just work, and if something else works too, what's the
difference then?

> On a slightly related note, is anyone working on a driver for the
> PILA8460C3 that uses its hardware crypto? I was supprised to see them
> going for 39$ US.

This *is* a good point. We purchased the crypto card for $130 lately,
I'd be surprized if they are down to $39. But if they are, then it's
time to get KAME/IPsec to use the crypto offloading. Where can we get
the specifications from? I may very well look into fixing up the fxp
dirver.

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine