Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:55:54 -0500
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        "Jeff Penn" <jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: portupgrade with package

> You're getting confused about what ports and packages are.  First off,
> they're not the same thing.
> I would reread the handbook section on ports/packages.  This page is
> particularly informative for you:
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x4300.html

To summarize, the ports tree doesn't require a tag and is for all versions.
Certain ports may require specific versions of FreeBSD, but this is port
specific and is not systemic.  An example of the universal nature of the
port system can be seen in the Makefile for the OpenSSL port:

.if exists(/usr/lib/libssl.a) && ${OSVERSION} >= 460000
FORBIDDEN=	"OpenSSL is already in the base system"
.endif

The OpenSSL port will not install (by default) on FreeBSD 4.6 (and -STABLE
and -CURRENT) because an updated version of it is already installed.  For

Packages, on the hand, are ports built for specific branches (or for
releases).  If you are running 4.5-RELEASE-p4, you would not want to run a
package built for -CURRENT.  It would most likely fail to work at all.  Look
into setting PACKAGESITE
(PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/
All/) and then try the update.  Or, just download the file
(ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/XFree86-
4.2.0_1,1.tgz) to /usr/ports/distfiles manually and then run the update.  I
don't use packages so I'm sure there is some more permanent and clean way to
make this work in the future.

Jon