Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2018 09:42:12 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel: uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished

On 11/23/18 6:51 PM, tech-lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a 12.0-BETA2 system, am seeing lots of this in /var/log/messages:
>
> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
> uhub_reattach_port: giving up port reset - device vanished
>
> last message repeated 496 times
>
> There's only two things usb on this machine, a usb3 pci card (which has
> nothing plugged into it) and a usb2 wireless key plugged into the usb
> system built into the motherboard. It's detected as run0. The device
> works fine, doesn't drop packets.
>
> How can I debug this? Should I upgrade to 12-PRERELEASE (or whatever the
> latest is) first?

Hi,

There hasn't been any USB changes in this area. Likely you have a broken
or unsupported USB device, which doesn't enumerate properly. I see this
on my computer with a USB bluetooth device, which because it doesn't
receive valid firmware at first boot, becomes in-accessible. Maybe you
can disable some such USB devices in the BIOS.

--HPS