Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:11:48 -0500
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make: don't know how to make /usr/src/sys/sys/_types.h [more details]

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Probably a stale dependency. Try cleaning your object directory (or
> at least all the .depend files).

I've never done this before. How do I do it? [read below for more
remembered details]

Thanks!

Bernd Walter wrote:
> You should update to the latest -stable and then update to 5.0.
> Updating directly with an older version might not work.

I had the same problem trying to upgrade to RELEASE_4, which is why I
tried to downgrade back to 4.6 (the last known good version on this box).

> Did you run buildworld first? Otherwise you don't have updated tools
> in /usr/obj to run buildkernel.

Yup. I ran "make -j4 buildword" before "make buildkernel KERNCONF=ZEUS".

In thinking this over, I *may* have remembered a clue to what's going
on. I was wrong in the original post about getting this error when
trying to upgrade to 5.0. World and kernel built and installed without
error, but the machine wouldn't boot. I went back to kernel.old,
modules.old and etc.old (I backup etc before running mergemaster). I
then renamed kernel.old, modules.old and etc.old (to kernel, modules,
and etc). I've rebooted several times without incident and everything
seems to be running fine (except updating the system).

THEN, I tried upgrading to RELEASE_4 (then 4.7) and THAT'S when I first
saw the "make: don't know how to make /usr/src/sys/sys/_types.h" message
when building the kernel.

I'm thinking there MUST be tons of out-of-sync stuff in the system from
when I ran "make installword" in the earlier 5.0 update. I went back to
the old kernel, modules and etc, but everything else is out-of-sync.
This might be causing this problem. This isn't a production machine, I
can wipe and re-install, but I'd rathe rnot have to do it.

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith@code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large