Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 11:33:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems very slow time on -current?

Is anyone able to clue me in on this problem?  This time rate
problem has been happening for the past several months.  I was sure
it is misconfiguration ... but I'm not sure.

Symptoms:
1) My system time is running at (about) 50% of what it should.
2) The hardware clock is working fine.  Date/time is ok on bootup.
3) When connected to the net xntpd keeps it adjusted ok.
4) After dropping the net the time gets slow again.
5) The problem happens even when not running xntpd.

System:
a) Vanilla Cyrix 586 IDE system.
b) Running -current Elf with an aout kernel.

The following text, grep'ped from /sys/i386/conf/LINT makes me wonder:

# CPU_BLUELIGHTNING_3X enables triple-clock mode on IBM Blue Lightning
# CPU if CPU supports it. The default is double-clock mode on
# CPU_IORT defines I/O clock delay time (NOTE 1).  Default vaules of
# I/O clock delay time on Cyrix 5x86 and 6x86 are 0 and 7,respectively
# (no clock delay).

Thank you for any help you can provide!

--
Daniel Ortmann       507.288.7732 (h)  ortmann@isl.net