Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:13:39 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I forced to install Xfree86?

On 30 Nov 2001, at 14:40, Philip Hallstrom boldly uttered:

> > On 30 Nov 2001, at 8:47, Kevin Oberman boldly uttered:

> > > I'd have to look at the Makefile for mtr to see how it would handle
> > > this. Some tools still install without a GUI and others will fail to
> > > install, at all.
> >

> > Since I'm not a programmer and I only compile software to create
> > pre-written applications, I'm not an expert on makefiles.  How
> > am I to determine such esoterica as how a port will behave if it
> > encounters the directive "NO_X= true" in /etc/make.conf?
> >

> > In a cursory view of the mtr port's Makefile, there is nothing in
> > there that references "X" or "X-Windows", or "Xfree86".. only the
> > "WANT_GTK= yes" line.
> >
> > I still contend that life for us lowly non-programmers would be
> > vastly more productive if the port's install script simply stopped at
> > some point and asked "I see you don't have X installed - do you want
> > to install that big monster, or just skip GUI support?".
>
> Although one could make the argument that it should ask about other
> options as well... or perhaps ask any time it needs to install a
> dependency... which could get pretty time consuming :)    I put the
> following in /etc/make.conf and don't think I've had a port try and
> install X since...
>
> NO_GUI=1
> WITHOUT_X11=1
>
> -philip

I will try to use those as defaults in the future and see what
happens.  However people seem to be saying that in the example I
gave, since X was not already on the system, it "should not" have
fetched and installed it.  If so, perhaps it was a bug in that
particular port.

Good suggestion though, I'll change the defaults on my boxes.

Only one question: the directives you mention aren't in the
/etc/defaults/make.conf here.  There is just the previously mentioned
"NO_X=  "  Are there a lot of directives not listed in the defaults
file?

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium