Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:16:52 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@freebsd.org>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HARDWARE.TXT vs. {i386,alpha}/RELNOTES.TXT

--==_Exmh_-299693996P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 08:41:12PM -0700, Jim Mock wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 at 11:34:15 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > > Could someone explain to this newbie why we maintain separate lists
> > > of  supported hardware in HARDWARE.TXT vs. {i386,alpha}/RELNOTES.TXT?
> >
> > I've never been able to figure this out either.
>
> Me either (certainly predates me).  Feel free to nuke it.

So, it seems like what we ought to do is to sync up HARDWARE.TXT with
RELNOTES.TXT (to make sure there's one consistent list), and then
replace the hardware lists in RELNOTES.TXT with pointers to
HARDWARE.TXT.  Anyone we need to ask about this?

> Agreed.  In my ideal world, Appendix F becomes the official supported
> hardware list.  HARDWARE.TXT is generated by a process that does
> something like
>
>      cp ...../handbook/hardware/chapter.sgml .
>      cat doctype.sgml chapter.sgml | jade -foo -bar -baz ... > chapter.html
>      w3m -dump chapter.html > HARDWARE.TXT

That's kind of cool.  Couple of random comments:  There's information in
Appendix F that we probably don't need in HARDWARE.TXT.  I don't know
enough about the handbook generation process about how to pare
HARDWARE.TXT down so that it resembles the current file.  It also means
we need the doc distribution installed to generate a release.  On the
other hand, doing this means there's exactly *ONE* place for all the
hardware compatability info, which is a Good Thing (TM).

> I'm handwaving somewhat, but you get the idea.  HARDWARE.TXT in the
> repository should say:
>
>     DO NOT TOUCH THIS FILE.  IT IS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE
>     HANDBOOK, GO AND EDIT THE HANDBOOK INSTEAD!

For now, what about maintaining HARDWARE.TXT as "the hardware list that
goes in distributions" and changing section 2.3 of the handbook to point
the users to HARDWARE.TXT for whatever distribution they care about
("please refer to HARDWARE.TXT in your distribution for more details")?
If we want to make the handbook more self-contained, we can
periodically sync a new section of Appendix F with contents from
HARDWARE.TXT.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-299693996P

--==_Exmh_-299693996P--