Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:39:57 +0000
From:      Philip Crewdson <philip@state51.co.uk>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   2.2R upgrade experiences

Not a question - just a few observations that might be of use to intending
upgraders/installers:

While sysinstall does a wonderful job when everything is set up right,
there always seem to be some unpredictable bumps along the way. These were
mine:

1) the boot floppy collapsed into error messages before finishing its
probing. Stress - test - try all the flags - no joy. Solution: corrupt
floppy *@#$!   Got it again - worked perfectly.

2) I was installing via ftp from another machine on the local network,
logging on as a registered user. Normally that would take me into my home
directory. The sysinstall instructions tell you to enter the path to the
distribution relative to your home directory or the ftp directory. No good.

Eventually I found that it was ftp-ing straight into the root directory and
searching from there. No idea why.

3) the installation quickly filled up the root slice and died. It was quick
because I was installing over local ethernet - if I had been ftp-ing to a
remote site, it would have _slowly_ filled up the root slice and died.

Turned out that it wanted to put 40Mb of stuff into /mnt. Too much for me -
my root slice is only 30Mb total! So I had to move /mnt to /usr and link it
back and start again.

Now I have 40Mb of stuff in /usr/mnt. If anyone can reassure me that it's
safe to delete it, I'd be grateful :)

That's it. Now I'm a happy bunny. Good luck to all.

Philip

Philip Crewdson

philip@state51.co.uk

a member of the state51 conspiracy