Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:01:33 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012579294.19cbc5@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shells confusion

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 09:22:34PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> Well, what an interesting set of replies !
> Someone has pointed out that the Bourne Shell does itself have some
> varieties. (For the person who mentioned it I believe that the original
> original Bourne Shell, as used on the 6th Edition, was re-written I
> recall for the 7th Edition, I am not even sure if it was by Mr Bourne.

Well, I mentioned it among others.

I don't believe the Unix v6 /bin/sh was the Bourne shell. There were
just to many things so many things it didn't have. There was a thing
called "ash" floating around, which was supposedly a precursor to csh,
but I never chased that down.

Of course, the v6 C compiler wasn't what most of us would think of as
a C compiler. It spelled "+=" as "=+", for one thing. We used what was
called the photo-7 compiler, which was the C compiler described in 1st
edition K&R ported to v6.

> And yes, as noted on the manual page, bash is huge and slow, neither of
> which I find a reason to *not* use it, since speed is rarely an issue in
> a shell script (it would not be written in script if speed was a
> critical issue in the first place).

I think the best reason to avoid bash is that sh is far more
portable. Besides, I never get to the point of needing things that sh
doesn't do reasonably that bash might, as I've switched to Python by
then.

	<mike