Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:56:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: followup to problems with 4.3-RC1 for laptops

In message <200103292231.f2TMVCg01135@mass.dis.org> Mike Smith writes:
: > > I scanned some of the archives and reworked my kernel's pcic0 device as
: > > follows:
: > >
: > >   device  pcic0 at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
: > >
: > > changing "irq 0" to "irq 10". Now the kernel is much happier. The thing
: >
: > Yes, some laptops just don't work in polled mode for pcic0 it seems.
:
: It looks like newer cardbus systems default to enabling the interrupt,
: and it's hardwired rather than routable/programmable like it used to be.
: I don't know how long this has been the case, but it's not likely to
: change back.

With the new cardbus code, we use pci routing of interrupts.  This is
great for everything except fast interrupts for sio.

: As Warner noted, we need to get the IRQ information from the cardbus
: bridge; reading its assignment would be a start, but I'd put money on
: needing to bring the PCI IRQ routing stuff back too.

Routing over the pci INTA pin is a lot more reliable.  Don't need to
use the ISA stuff at all.

Warner