Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:55:01 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports with GUI configs

On Monday 12 November 2007 17:48, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:26:00PM +0000, Ashley Moran wrote:
>> I've lost count of the number of times I've come back to a big
>> install to find it hanging on a config screen.  Possibly I'm missing
>> something.
[snip]
>> What is the best way to pre-configure GUI-configured ports?  For example,
>> if I want to script an installation of several ports.
>
> 'make config-recursive' to pop up all the config-dialogs before you
> start building[...]

I discovered this recently. My big irritation, having decent bandwidth at work
and a dialup at home, was fetching ``all'' the required sources for an
overnight build on my laptop, finding in the morning that a dialog had popped
up during the night and stopped the build, selecting a non-standard option
and restarting only to find that it brought in a bunch more dependencies -
over my phone line.

I now run make config-recursive repeatedly until dialogs stop appearing, then
fetch, then build. This recently cut down a build of X.org and KDE from a
week (wall time) to less than 24 hours - from memory I ran make
config-recursive three or four times on x11/kde3 alone.

(Oh, I also got ADSL which helped with the downloads).

Jonathan