Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:59:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
Cc:        rb@gid.co.uk, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:57:57PM +0100, Michael Grant wrote:
> However, there's a link on the page you pointed me at to GFS the
> Global File System by Sistina:
>
> http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm
>
> This seems to be similar to Coda but for Linux.  I hate to say this
> but it does look like Linux has superior support for clustering.

Be aware that GFS is a commercial product though.  There are a number of
other Linux clustering filesystems in this area if you're looking to port
one though.  Ignoring GFS and Coda (since they have both been mentioned
already), a brief (and incomplete) list would be something like:

. PVFS		http://www.parl.clemson.edu/pvfs/
. InterMezzo	http://inter-mezzo.org/
. GPFS 		http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/clusters/software/gpfs.html
. Lustre	http://www.lustre.org/

Unfortunately I'd have to agree that Linux has better clustering support
at the moment.  That is basically because more people (particularly the
corporations and national labs) are working on cluster support for Linux.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org