Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:53:06 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File Size limit?

> What is it under FreeBSD?
>
> I see that _BSD_OFF_T_, which is the parent of the LSEEK argument, is
> defined as "long long".  Is this a 64-bit quantity, implying that we have
> file sizes allowed beyond 2GB (or 4GB)?

That's correct.  off_t must be signed (to allow seeking backwards), so
the old limit was 2GB.

I can vouch that at least basic operations (read, write, mmap() of a
region) work on files > 2GB, as I used this functionality recently.
(Analysis of an atmospheric simulation, if anyone cares.)

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\