Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:18:01 -0400
From:      Wayne <wc_fbsd@xxiii.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PortSnap problems & relocating ports

I've been using portsnap on 6.x systems for some time now with no
problems.  I decided to move /usr/ports and /usr/src to their own
filesystem, /build, to make it easier to backup the important system
stuff.  I also relocated /var/db/portsnap to /build/db/portsnap.

I thought I could edit /etc/portsnap.conf to reflect the new location,
and do things as before.  I edited WORKDIR and PORTSDIR, and set
PORTSDIR (env var) but now I get:

# portsnap fetch
portsnap: Directory does not exist or is not writable: /var/db/portsnap

Looks like it's ignoring portsnap.conf.  So I explicitly name it:

# portsnap -f /etc/portsnap.conf fetch
portsnap: Directory does not exist or is not writable: /var/db/portsnap

Same thing.  What's up?  So instead I specify both on the command line:

# portsnap -d /build/db/portsnap -p /build/ports fetch

Ahh.... now it works.  Bug?  Or am I doing something wrong.

Which brings up the next question:  What's the best way to relocate the
source and ports?  I could grab the dull hatchet and sym-link all the
defaults to the new locations.  But what's the correct method?

   -Thanks,  Wayne