Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:27:30 -0700
From:      Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
To:        Tomas Quintero <tomasq@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec

Well, Tomas,

The issue is that not all FreeBSD users accept a dependency on
binary-only non-free components.

Some of them do care.

Perhaps not you, but some of them do.

> I'm sorry, but aside from the chain of emails subject'd Adaptec AAC
> raid support, what good does this email serve to the
> freebsd-questions@ mailing lists? The only thing this is doing is
> perpetuating the cycle of emails which is simply clogging inboxes.

No, Tomas, you are incorrect.

Yes, thousands of mails are being sent to Adaptec right now, but
these mails are coming from their CUSTOMERS.

Now if I was a company and I was doing something that pissed off
my customers, I would like to know, that's for sure.

So your use of the word "clogging" is incorrect.

> While some of the discussion may be constructive or useful in the
> other thread, this is not.

No, Tomas, it is entirely useful.

It is due to activism actions like this that the documentation for
many many chipsets was freed up, for years now, chipsets which I am
sure YOU are using on your machine RIGHT NOW.  I have been at this
for 10 years now, and I am sure you have not.  It has been a momentous
struggle, and it is not over yet.

> Try and keep your subjects together so I can archive them more easily
> and not be forced to read over more. If anything, this sort of email
> belongs entirely on your misc lists, not the freebsd lists.

It belongs whereveer there are people who care about being able to
have drivers for their hardware.

Otherwise what you are asking for is simply ... that the developer's
hands be tied.

Flat out, you are wrong.  This affects everyone.