Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:44:54 +0900
From:      Masafumi NAKANE/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= <max@wide.ad.jp>
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, max@wide.ad.jp, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kaffe problems

Thanks folks for taking time on this problem.

I decided to re-fetch the kaffe and jdk distributions and reinstall
the ports of them, and I did.  It made me believe that jdk previously
installed on my system was somehow broken in the first place. ;_)

    >> I just did because I could, and it works fine for me.  I was
    >> getting weird errors when I had a screwed up CLASSPATH and/or
    >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so I suspect those.

And stupidly enough, LD_LIBRARY_PATH was another problem causing this.
After all, kaffe starts running!!

    jdp> Also, LD_LIBRARY_PATH _must_ be set to include
    jdp> "/usr/local/lib", even if you've already run ldconfig on that
    jdp> directory.

This, I have been misunderstanding.  I had strong belief that
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is unnecessary as long as you execute ldconfig
properly.   The Makefile of kaffe port does ldconfig after the
installation and that made my belief even stronger. ;_)

    jdp> Gdb worked OK for me, except that it did get an error when I
    jdp> entered the "help set" command.  The version from
    jdp> ports/devel/gdb didn't exhibit that problem.

Now gdb works for me, too except for the "help set" problem.

    jdp> Maybe he's got a hardware problem.  Maybe he's got a
    jdp> corrupted libc.so.3.0.

Oh, right, actually I rebuilt libc.so.3.0, too before reinstalling
kaffe and jdk ports, so this may be true.

Anyway, the problem was caused mainly by my mistake and misunderstand.
I'm awfully sorry for making you put much effort on this and spare time
on this.

I will request the kaffe port's maintainer to improve the DESCR file
to avoid another stupid guy like myself running into the same kind of
problem as I had and asking you folks the same questions.

Again, I really appreciate you for helping me out.  Thanks a lot.

          Masafumi NAKANE, Keio Univ., Dept. of Environmental Information
E-Mail : max@wide.ad.jp / max@FreeBSD.ORG
[URL] :  http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/~max/