Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:04:39 +0200
From:      Jeroen Hofstee <jeroen@myspectrum.nl>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make xdev-links

Hello Warner,

On 20-10-14 16:02, Warner Losh wrote:

>> [snip]
> You just built clang. If you are using the old gcc that you built a while ago, all bets are off.
> Also, if your ports tree isn’t clean, you may have old OABI .os in there that weren’t rebuilt.

I will have a look some day to see what happens if I start with a
completely clean setup.

>>> The links aren’t causing that error. They won’t be renamed. If there’s a real bug here,
>>> it needs to be fixed elsewhere.
>> I don't know the root cause, but clang e.g. will behave differently
>> depending on the name it is invoked with. So perhaps that logic needs
>> to be extended then.
> clang can’t build u-boot.

A couple of arm boards from 2014.10 can be build with clang.

> Second, if clang produces oabi binaries with the above
> name, it needs to change to not do that. Either way, not an xdev problem.

As mentioned above I will have a look if this can be reproduced
on a clean install.

>>> That’s odd. It shouldn’t be doing that. Any idea where that’s coming from?
>> No idea, I do know 2 more people reported the same problem in the
>> u-boot mailinglist before, so it is not limited to my setup. I just didn't
>> encounter it before, since I typically don't build u-boot as root.
> Yea, that sounds like a bug to me. I get “acorn” on my rPi, which is quite lame.

The variable is set by csh. I don't know why u-boot cannot cope with it
at the moment.

Regards,
Jeroen