Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:25:11 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@paramon.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig within jail

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:19:12PM +0600, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
> what did I do wrong ? I cannot run ifconfig from within jail
>=20
> # ifconfig rl0 inet 10.0.1.112 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): permission denied
>=20
> ipfw seems also not to be working...

I believe that's intentional.  The network stack isn't virtualized to
prevent jail instances from interfering with each other (and with the
host machine).  There have been patches posted recently to one of the
lists that might be a starting point for working on this.

Kris

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc--