Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: previewer

According to Greg Lehey:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 01:10:52PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

		[[ ... ]]

> Well, it would have helped if you had said what you want to preview.
> If it's PostScript, you can use Ghostview, which I do all the time.
> If it's something else, I can't guess what.  Come on, why don't you
> tell us?

		Well, if you'll re-read my first paragraph
		perhaps it will become clear that I was
		trying to arrange addresses in large font type
		on a landscape-mode sheet of paper.

> > 	The other day when my wife asked me to make up a mailing
> > 	sheet (with a large, bold font) it took me 4 or 5 tries
> > 	to get it right.  I used enscript to get the bold font
> > 	in landscape mode.

		Because I didn't understand the exact relationship
		of spaces and characters in the kerned typeface;
		so the cost was several guesses until the
		printout was correct.

		I figured that some combination of enscript (or
		a2ps) output filtered thru ghostscript or
		ghostview might work.  But there wasn't time
		for any experimentation.

		This afternoon, Julian Elischer pointed out
		that ghostscript was the solution, but after
		some testing I realized that ghostview might
		be the better viewer.  ghostview allows -landscape
		views.

		It's not obvious nor trivial (push-button) to
		determine how create a previewer.  It would be
		fairly trivial to create a Bourne | perl script
		to handle most cases.  A better solution would be
		a tk/tcl program.

		'Nuff??

		gary