Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:54:03 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, committers@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf abuse

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 09:29:47PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > IMO: Neither.  It should be located in src, whereever you check that
> > out, so you can do several different builds with different
> > configurations.  It would be nice if it was possible to specify the
> > name of the file on the build command line, so you could do several
> > differently configured builds from the same source tree.  I don't
> > think this would be too difficult.
>
> I agree with Eivind; seeing as our make has a nice way to include files
> (such as a /usr/src/make.local)

One snag with that.  Sometimes a remedy for fixing a build problem is

    # rm -rf /usr/src

and start again.  I know that's probably ingrained in a lot of people's
fingers, and they treat /usr/src as an expendable file system.  Suddenly
we'll be putting a config file there.

Perhaps /usr/local/etc/make.conf would be better?  Or at least a variable
(which can be defined in /etc/make.conf) which points to the file, so that
the admin can easily set local policy.

PS:  Sorry for the delay in replying.  What with work, buying a house, moving
in to the house, fixing the plumbing in the house, and paying the bills, I've
been a little busy recently.  I'm back to e-mail now, and catching up. . .