Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:32:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and smp crash

> That wasn't clear.  The "fix" to the page_remove code has really concerned
> me.  The effort was good, but I am still thinking about where the problem
> really is.

Are you talking about the initial diagnostic fix, which was never
intended for integration (I would have squawked over a commit), the
"backup one", or the "valid = 0" fix, based on your suggestion?

I'm pretty sure that I understand the ramifications of the "valid = 0"
fix enough that I think that it is "right".  I'd like to put another
panic in vm_page.c, where the kludge for "9-Jan-93" XXX; I think it's
a kludge, but I doubt a panic there would make me very popular.  8-).

> The locking situations and critical region problems are existant
> throughout the VFS and VM code (and probably in other places too.)  I
> am working to help solve those sorts of problems coherently and
> completely in another forum.  However, when I can help (without totally
> distracting me in my new work), I will (and do.)

The locking stuff is noted; I have the copy of your diffs, and I'm
slowly going through them with your list of what should and should
not be taken, in hand.  For the most part, these appear to be SMP
issues, and unrelated to the problems I'm seeing.  For what it's worth,
I believe the two fixes I want in will do nothing for the problems I'm
seeing; one was from you, and the other was from my own code review
of what I felt was the place to look for the contact lens "because
that's where the light is".

David Greenamn made the suggestion that I look instead at the vfs_bio
code for my own problems; that, of course, is "where the light isn't",
but it's a good suggestion anyway, and I'm looking...  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.