Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 19:17:50 -0700
From:      "Robert Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, drwho@xnet.com
Subject:   Re: ipfw/nat/network question

From looking at your rc.firewall you are using ppp.  You should look into =
ppp=20
aliasing first.  but if you really want to do nat then you will have to =
include=20
the nat interface in the rc.firewall. The following was taken from the =
default.

From the /etc/rc.firewall=20

############
# These rules are required for using natd.  All packets are passed to
# natd before they encounter your remaining rules.  The firewall rules
# will then be run again on each packet after translation by natd,
# minus any divert rules (see natd(8)).
if [ "X${natd_enable}" =3D X"YES" -a "X${natd_interface}" !=3D X"" ]; then
        $fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via ${natd_interface}
fi

If you decide to go with ppp aliasing then have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp21.html#24
for a good start.

>>> Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com> 5/23/99 9:45:15 PM >>>
I have attached a copy of my /etc/rc.firewall.  I would like any advice
I can get on how to proceed with this....

I need to get machines on my local network (192.168.16.0) to talk to the
'net through the FreeBSD machine (192.168.16.1, inside).  I'm simply stuck
on this one... I don't know how to get natd working properly with this;
if I enabled natd on here, it blocks connections to/from my LAN, etc...

I'm sure it's something small that I'm forgetting or missing here, so if
anyone could help me out on this, I'd be grateful.

BTW: Please send your responses to "drwho@xnet.com" -- I'm not currently
subscribed to the list....

Thanks.

--=20
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/=20
              -- Stop the illegal attacks on Serbia NOW! --