Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 15:21:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Mark Walters <mark.walters@admin.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0 kernel compilation error?

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Mark Walters wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a new kernel for a 2.1.0 system running on a
> 386DX33 (no 387) with 8MB RAM.  I've installed the ssys.a* files
> and have been able to compile some other software (the TCP_Wrappers
> package) but I've run into a problem...  I've modified the config
> file ;
>
> #device     npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
> [...]
> undefined symbol _hw_float

I *THINK* (Please correctme if I'm wrong, folks) that the npx0 device
mustr be enabled, regardless of whether you have a hardware or software
floating point unit.  I think the rationale behind this is, if a Hardware
fpu exists, npx0 calls it; if not, npx0 is the entry point for the
software fpu emulation.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **