Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2019 17:34:42 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd android tethering using USB cable - intermittent failure

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Tuesday, February 05, 2019 a las 02:36:59PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey escribió:
>
> > Hi hackers@,
> > I tether Androids to FreeBSDs using USB cables, Using
> > ports/devel/android-tools-adb Mostly it works, but sometimes fails to
> > connect, I've no idea why.
> >
> > I've tried: different physical androids, different versions of android (4 & 5),
> > different physical ports (once I had a cable hanging down didnt connect on
> > laptop socket), via hub & direct avoiding usb hub, different FreeBSDs
> > (all of 10.4-RELEASE 11.2-RELEASE 13.0-CURRENT), 2 different FreeBSD PCs
> >
> > Could someone please please take a look at
> > 	http://www.berklix.org/android/#adb
> > & perhaps spot what I'm forgetting to initialise ?
>
> With my Ubuntu Phone (which has as well an Android kernel behind the
> scenes), I learned that one must enable developer mode and even with
> this on connect the display *must* be unlocked and a pop up answered
> about the permission.

Thanks , Yes I've got developer mode on (7 taps on build version)
&  dont know how to lock display so always on, & yes I do always
touch screen to tether.

Ive tried rebooting BSD today didnt help. Dont think ive tried
rebooting the Androids today.  I wondered if I had some hidden
faulty initialiser file so just removed a bunch of ~/.[a-zA-Z]*
that I didnt recognise or didnt want.

Weirdly, adb shell has now just connected on the phone I want to
move data on.

& also weirdly ifconfig -a
does Not display a ue0: eg from past:
	ue0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
 		ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
though I thought I needed ue to tether with,
ifconfig -a just shows ether & local bge0: & lo0:

Unfortunately my background devd set up the connection before I
killed it & switched to foreground /sbin/devd -d so xterm scroll
back does not show what device, but I grabbed a tar copy of /dev
to look at later

My Android popped up with a less often seen screen: USB PC Connection
	Connect as
		Media device (MTP) which shows pre-ticked Green
		Camera (PTP) which shows blank, un-checked.

Well I wont disturb that pair of devs that are ready to talk,
I'll start long transfer of data I need,

but I will contine to experiment on another pair of devs,

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich Aachen Kent
 UK Stole 700,000 votes from British in EU + 3 million globally; 1.9 M in UK